Friday, December 31, 2010

RIDE THIS INTO 2011

So, according to Bartolo Colon, the Yankees are interested in him. Wow. I didn't realize we we're going to ring in the new year of 1999 when Colon was 18-5 with the Indians. Or maybe it's about to be 2005, when Colon had 21 wins with the Angels.

Look, I love Bartolo Colon, but I'm not so sure I love him in 2011. Get me? I've been reading a lot about this guy, a lot of it is leaks from his own camp about his amazing comeback and the weight loss and how he's on his way back to the majors. At this point, should the Yankees give him a look? Absolutely. Should they sign him? I'm no scout, but if they like what they see, sure, but I just don't think this is the big fix the Bronx have been waiting for. Right now, Yankees fans are desperate for action. If that means we take a chance on an over the hill pitcher that had a few good years in his prime, do it.

I do know this, Colon was 3-6 with a 4.19 ERA for the White Sox in 2009 before being sidelined with a knee injury. According to MLB Trade Rumors, Colon then spent last season training, and "has had a solid winter, going 2-1, with a 1.97 ERA for Aguilas in the Dominican League. That followed a solid season in the Dominican League's regular season when he posted a 1.47 ERA over seven starts."

Now to be honest, I don't remember much about Colon's career. I remember him being good, consistent and going to the Red Sox at one point and his was fat. That's mean, let's just say big boned.

I don't remember Colon's wins, his losses and strikeout totals, but 1 thing I do remember was April 26, 2005. Alex Rodriguez cranked 3 home runs off of Colon that night. Colon was supposed to be unstoppable but the Yanks did damage. 10 RBI's later for A-Rod, history was made, and I was there watching the 3rd hit, a grand slam go over Steve Finley's head into the black. That's my fondest memory of Bartolo Colon. So now he "might" be a Yankee. I say, let's welcome him. Who knows what will happen. He could be good enough for a 5th starter, or lights out for a 3rd starter. Either way, we can't lose. Does anyone agree? Kate Conroy from the Bleacher Report doesn't. She wrote about it HERE. Check it out.

On the Bullpen front, well, Brian Fuentes is still on the radar, according to Ken Rosenthal. Fuentes is a closer. Fuentes is good, but we have all seen the guy have meltdowns. Does that mean he can't handle New York pressure? Perhaps. Is he better than a Rafael Soriano? I say No. Who would I rather? Soriano, no doubt. You know my thoughts on Soriano and at the right price he should be in the Yankees bullpen. Now, according to Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees are not going after Rafael Soriano. Interesting. Soriano's agent is Scott Boros. Is it possible the Yankees have learned their lesson dealing with Boros all these years and are trying to move away from Boros's clients so they don't owe millions to players and mess up their future budget? That's my theory, and it's based on nothing. Just an assumption. That being said, Fuentes could be a good fallback if that is the Yanks plan and reports are Fuentes is asking for $5 million a year. Keep your ear close to the ground on this one, something could happen.

I just hope the Yanks are able to snag Soriano. Can you imagine? Soriano with Mo and Joba, that would give an amazing trio. Not sure why Cashman isn't pitching this to Soriano right now, I just don't get it.

Finally, in case you thought we picked up some bench help... we haven't. Another part of the Yankees team that lacks... big time. There was talk about Manny Ramirez earlier in the week. Then the Yankees quickly came out and said they weren't interested. I know the truth. Manny won't come to the Yankees because then he'd have to cut his hair. That would be a bad move for Manny. That alone is a deal breaker.

And, remember that talk about the Yankees wanting the Astros Jeff Keppinger? M
e neither. No one cares because to put it simply, no one knows who he is. Yankees Fans want names and talent, not "a no name with some talent." Anyway, chatter was that a trade was about to happen at any minute to get Keppinger to the Yankees. To be fair, Keppinger is actually a good ballplayer and if they were able to get him, it would have been good for utility purposes. He can play all over the place and hits left handed pitching. Here are his stats HERE.

That being said, there's still some time to pick up a few bench players. But, you know my heart lies with the pitching situation right now.

Whatever the case, it's just about January 2011 and pitchers and catchers will be here before we know it. Let's just hope the catchers have some pitchers to hang with down in Tampa come February.

Happy New Year everyone. See you on the other side.

-The Mighty Casey

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017