Monday, February 28, 2011

WHY I DON'T BELIEVE CASHMAN

"I'm not talking to anyone about anything right now, nobody's available. Nobody of value, anyway." --Brian Cashman

The Yanks and the Twins are about to make a deal, despite what Brian Cashman says. Francisco Liriano is on the Yankees radar and pretty much has been since December. Again, many questions are still out there as to who will be involved in the trade and whether or not it's worth it. Liriano, who at one time was one of the most talented pitchers in the majors was 14-10 last year. He's 27 and is coming off injury. That being said, he can be totally dominant if he is to stay healthy. And by the way, he would not be a 4th rotation guy with the Yankees. No no. If Liriano came to the Bronx, this guy is sitting right behind CC Monster or behind Hughes. He's that good. Now comes the burning question, who to give up?

You can't get something for nothing and while I'm convinced that Liriano would be a huge help for the Yanks, I'm just not sure who would be the odd man or men out.

1. Joba Chamberlain- It seems like a no brainer right? Wrong. I've been down on Joba sure, but fixing mechanics is major and if consistently pounds the strike zone touching 94 like he did Saturday, I don't want to give him up. Yankee Brass probably disagrees and has a bow on him all ready to deliver to Minnesota. Now, If I needed to give up someone, then it's bye bye Mr. Chamberlain, it's been real.

2. Ivan Nova- The kid was put into the Yankee rotation in the hardest part of the Yankees season last year. When I put it like that, he didn't do so bad. The reality is he's got great stuff and has balls, and I don't mean bases on balls, this guys got brass ones. Remember his stare down with Jose Bautista last year? He's no chump. But, knowing what we have in the minors, I'd be willing to give Nova up, but I'm not sure I want to just yet. Give me 24 hours on this one.

3. Sergio Mitre- YES! (But no one wants this guy)

4. Pitching prospects- Baneulos, Betances, Brackman, Phelps, Noesi and the list goes on. There are a lot of promising things to say about each. But if I had to, I'd part with any of them EXCEPT the Killer B's. 5. Jesus Montero- No. Forget it. Look, the Twins have Joe Mauer right now. If Montero was to go to Minnesota, he'd play a lot, Mauer always gets hurt. That being said, we have a great setup in New York and I just know Montero will be a star in the Bronx if we let him play at the pro level.

Who would have thought that looking for a pitcher would be this tricky. It is possible Liriano will be a New York Yankee by Opening Day, and the possibilities for who are ongoing and unlimited...even if Cashman says it's not true. Stay tuned.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017