Saturday, September 29, 2012

HEY YANKEES, WE NEED A HERO!

There is no question that if the New York Yankees don't make the playoffs this season, it will be deemed a failure. If the Yankees win the division and lose in the playoffs, it will be a failed season. If the Yankees make it to the World Series and lose, it will be a disaster. But, I'm getting way ahead of myself...

Sorry. This is what fans do, we think too much, when the reality is, all we need to do is root... that's it. Several players will be under a microscope this fall and we have to break it down from a fan perspective, because while we have to win it all as the New York Yankees, we also have to be realistic, we want all our guys to contribute, not just 1 or 2.
Alex Rodriguez is one guy that will be heavily watched and criticized.  This is a guy that since that magical 2009 post season run, hasn't been the guy we thought he'd be after that. Alex is a regular player now, accept it. Those heroics he used to perform for us are over.  It's clear to me and no, I'm not down on Alex, I understand it, that's all.
This is the same guy that ruined our chances in the playoffs 2 years in a row ending the series the same way... striking out against the Rangers in 2010 and doing it again in 2011 against the Tigers. Not exactly a great track record, but it's on his record just the same.  Sure, he wasn't the only one to blame, but when you need your million dollar men to perform, that's the spot they need to deliver in...he didn't.
Now, think about this; if he performs below average again in the playoffs this season, assuming we get there, there is no question Alex Rodriguez will be shouted out of the Bronx by fed up fans that have been looking for the big hit and huge lift-me-up since 2009.  Alex will be criticized and fans will call for his head.  The big question is, Is that fair? Dare I say... YES. Time's up. Alex Rodriguez has healed, the window for being "locked-in" has closed and no one can hold this guy's hand anymore if he fails in the playoffs. He needs to perform... not as a singles hitter, but as a run scoring home run hitter, the same guy we know he should still be at this point. Anything less...well, let's just say it won't be pretty for Alex.

Nick Swisher. Love him or sick of him, it's clear to me that if he carries his 16 for 100 post season record back to the post season and tacks on more Zeroes, Yankeeland will be happy to say goodbye and will turn to Ichiro Suzuki as a cheap alternative to right field next season. That's the bottom line and Nick knows this. Nick's not a postseason player, but, that can change if he starts to actually deliver in the post season, you know what I mean? Look, it may not be fair to say that, but look at his record, not exactly stellar. Am I being too harsh? Sure I am, but I'm allowed to, Nick needs to do his job we all know that at this point.
Ivan Nova was quoted in Mark Feinsand Blogging the Bomber's piece (HERE) saying "I’m going to keep working like I’m going to start next time. If he don’t give me next time, what can I do? I’m confident, I’ll still work and hopefully I can get the next one and then be in the playoff rotation... I want to be on the roster, I want to help the team to win games in any position. I just want to be there.”

Sure, you gotta love the balls on this kid, but let's be honest, he pitched his way out of the rotation since the All-Star break. Look, I'm as confused as the next guy, Nova hasn't performed well enough to be in the post season as a starter. Do I love his confidence? I do, but let's face it, if the Yankees crawl into the post season like it looks like they may, I don't want Ivan Nova there, I want Andy Pettitte there all day long.

Look, we need a hero, we don't need doubt, we need confidence. That's why there is a positive to this whole post.  Guys like Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte know the post season. I see CC Monster about to turn it on. I see guys like Curtis Granderson and Robinson Cano about to feel the crisp air on their faces and they're ready to go. I see a momentum filled bullpen in Joba Chamberlain, David Robertson and Rafael Soriano, back together again, and I like it.

I need a hero, we need a hero and the Yankees know that. Now, they will go out and play hard, they will lead and fight their way through the BS. After all, no one expected the Baltimore Orioles to still be around. It's good for baseball yes, but it's not good for my Yankees. So we need to think about ourselves now though, that's the bottom line. We need to play good baseball and be better than real good, we need to be perfect (HERE). Because is there is 1 thing I know about Yankee fans, we take winning well and losing harder than an fan out there and that's because we're used to winning. I know, any non-Yankee fan out there will shit on that statement, but they will never understand what it's like to be a Yankee fan. But remember this post and remember the guys I mentioned, ARod... Swish...  these guys will be under a microscope this fall. They have to perform, and not just to get by, they need to blow us out of the water!

We need a Hero... Hideki Matsui anyone?

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017